June 7, 2018
Daily Podcast: The Problem With Toxic Fandom And How We Can Fix It
On the June 7, 2018 episode of /Film Daily, /Film editor-in-chief Peter Sciretta is joined by weekend editor Brad Oman, writer Hoai-Tran Bui and special guest Lindsey Romain to have a discussion about the current state of toxic fandom, trolls, and our role in the film conversation.
- Kelly Marie Tran has deleted all of the photos on her instagram account, reportedly because of harassment from Star Wars fans.
- Toxic fandom, DCEU, now Star Wars
- Online mobs, organized campaigns
- The loss of a middle ground: There’s also a danger of grouping smart people who are critical in with the bad
- Why do fans hate what they love so much?
- Why has toxic fandom become so prevalent recently? Audience and ownership.
- The difference between criticizing and harassing creators
- Peter’s rule for what he writes
- Being constructive and not hurtful
- Common courtesy and respect
- @ replying creators into a negative conversation
- What should we put out into this world?
Other articles mentioned:
- HT’s The Last Jedi Backlash is Another Example of Fandom Gone Wrong
- Lindsey’s ‘Star Wars’ is About Saving What We Love – and We Need to Save Star Wars
All the other stuff you need to know:
You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
/Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
Please feel free to send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at [email protected]. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!
Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.
The post Daily Podcast: The Problem With Toxic Fandom And How We Can Fix It appeared first on /Film.