December 5, 2017
Cahiers du cinéma’s Top 10 Films of 2017 Includes ‘Twin Peaks: The Return,’ ‘Split,’ and ‘Good Time’
Established in the 1950s by André Bazin, Joseph-Marie Lo Duca, and Jacques Doniol-Valcroze, France’s Cahiers du cinéma has long been a bastion for quality film criticism. Year after year their rundown of the top films usually ignites a response, and we doubt 2017 will be any different — mostly notably when it comes to their top “film,” and perhaps a few other inclusions.
They’ve released their latest list, which includes a few films that won’t get a U.S. release until 2018 (Jeannette, The Day After, Lover for a Day). Also among the selections are some of this year’s finest films, Get Out and Good Time, as well as David Lynch’s 18-hour Twin Peaks: The Return, which also made Sight & Sound’s poll. Since they got a release in France this year, Certain Women, Jackie, and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk also made the cut.
Check out the list below (with a hat tip to Ali F. Kısakürek), also including links to reviews where available.
1. Twin Peaks: The Return (David Lynch)
2. Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc (Bruno Dumont)
3. Certain Women (Kelly Reichardt)
4. Get Out (Jordan Peele)
5. The Day After (Hong Sang-soo)
6. Lover For a Day (Philippe Garrel)
7. Good Time (Josh and Benny Safdie)
8. Split (M. Night Shyamalan)
9. Jackie (Pablo Larraín)
10. Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (Ang Lee)
See More: The Best of 2017